Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pollsters polled or do you mind if I ask you some questions too?

On Saturday I had a phone call from Newspoll conducting a survey on generational understanding of food safety and the awareness of Food Safety Week. This set me thinking – if they can ask me questions about habits, I should be able to ask them. So I resolved to do a short survey of my own with the next caller.
Within an hour, I had had two calls from different charities that I support, with the latest of the offers for their Christmas fundraising. Now I’ve never actually won anything from these but maybe this time I could get a little something back.
Enter the “I’ve just thought up these few questions” public library use survey. Neither sophisticated nor with a cleverly disguised purpose and with no thought to how the results could be analysed, I launched into a list of 5 questions. And I got answers with extra comments and even enthusiasm.
Am I on to something? What if we all did something similar? It would be a completely random and unsolicited survey – might go viral!
Tested it again tonight. This time the phone call was to tell me that I’d been selected from respondents to a phone survey (that I only vaguely remembered) and had won a prize. After listening to the benefits of the product I had won, politely refusing it in favour of another more deserving soul, I requested permission to ask my questions. Bingo – another short chat about public libraries.

Now I’m getting a bit more excited which could be a dangerous sign. So I’ve “extensively beta tested” the questions – they need some tweaking. Not sure how we go from here but I invite you to participate.

No comments: